IGNOU(Indira Gandhi National Open University)
IGNOU – The Indira Gandhi National Open University was named after the ex-Prime Minister of India. Indira Gandhi National Open University is the world’s largest open university. It was established in the year 1985 under an act of Parliament with the aim of delivering quality higher education, in various disciplines, through distance learning to the three
categories of students:
- Those who reside in remote areas and do not have access to higher education.
- Those who cannot join regular courses due to financial and other constraints.
- Professionals aspiring for additional qualifications.
Silent Features of IGNOU
- It has contributed significantly to the development of higher education in the country through the Open and Distance Learning (ODL) mode.
- IGNOU is also known as the ‘People’s University’ and follows a learner-centric approach and has successfully adopted a policy of openness and flexibility in entry qualifications, time is taken for completion of a program, and place of study.
- The University has been successful in making courses available to long-distance learners which are earlier limited to classroom studies only like engineering and technology, B.Ed, health, nursing, and library and information science.
- The educational programs imparted by the IGNOU are considered at par with the education provided by any other recognized institute of the country. Approximately 1.5 million students in India are presently being enrolled in the various programs of IGNOU.
- The number surges if one adds the foreign students who are enrolled in its program through International Cell. At present, 35 countries are the takers of its undergraduate, postgraduate, and certificate programs.
- IGNOU- the apex body of education to promote and maintain standards of distance education in and around the the country is recognized as a ‘Centre of Excellence’ by the Commonwealth of Learning (COL), which offers Executive Management program in India and utilizes IGNOU as a platform for the conduct of CEMAT Entrance Examination and management training.
- Currently, IGNOU offers 500 programs(approx) of study through over 3,500 courses to a cumulative student strength of over 30 lakh students.
IGNOU has the following Eleven Divisions to take care of various activities.
- Academic and Coordination Division
- Administrative Division
- Construction and Maintenance
- Computer Division
- Finance and Accounts Division
- International Division
- Library and Documentation Division
- Material Production and Distribution
- Planning and Development Division
- Regional Services Division
- Student Registration and Evaluation
The programs are offered by the University at the following levels:
- masters and bachelor’s degree programs
- post-graduate and under-graduate diplomas
These include Education,Agriculture, Engineering and technology, performing and visual arts, journalism, etc.
IGNOU conducts its programs less than two sessions -the July session and the January session. Click Here for important details on admission.
IGNOU has various schools of studies:
- School of Management Studies
- School of Humanities
- School of Social Work
- School of Education,
- School of Commerce etc.
IGNOU assignments are very crucial for students. One has to submit a fixed number of assignments before they become eligible for term-end examinations. Click here for the latest IGNOU solved assignments.
Note:– Ignou tips assignment is not an official site for IGNOU. Information on our site has been taken from IGNOU website and we don’t have any accountability for the authenticity and reliability of the information posted here.